Christians claim that life is about loving God and loving others but to begin a relationship with God, and to receive his help to love others, we need to deal with a problem. None of us is perfect. We all commit wrongs which form a barrier between us and God. We need God’s forgiveness.
Christianity is unique in believing that God himself came to earth to provide forgiveness for us. As Jesus, he died to take the punishment for all humanity’s sin. All God asks is that we acknowledge our sin, repent of it, and put our faith in Jesus, his Son – then forgiveness will be ours for ever.
In summary, we believe…
- the Inspiration and Authority of the Bible as God’s Word
- the Trinity of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
- that God loved His creation so much that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ to die as a sacrifice to cover our sins
- that the proper response to God’s loving sacrifice of His Son is to repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour
- that faith in Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour results in an eternal life spent in closeness with God
- that every believer has the Person of the Holy Spirit living in them to teach and guide in the way of serving God
- the command for believers to be baptised by immersion in water as declaring their allegiance to the Lord Jesus
- the command for baptised believers to be added to local church of God fellowship
- the command to continue steadfastly in ‘the apostles’ teaching, the fellowship, the breaking of the bread and the prayers’
For more detail, please see the website of the Church and Churches of God at: http://www.churchesofgod.info/church_of_god_beliefs.php